Thursday, October 16, 2014

"Empty Hand"

Every day they are walking
Talking
Loving.
Every day I am sitting
Silent
Brooding.
Together I have been before
Together I will be no more.
"Just you wait"
"Everyone has their person"
Except for me. I have no person.
"It is better to have lost and lost than to have never loved at all"
I am questioning whether this is true
Or if a teenage girl came up with that saying after being dumped at the mall.
I see them interlocking hands
And I sit, alone, thinking
"Grow up," or "Be a man."
I am told
"Be persistent."
"Keep contact."
I try to keep contact and take my turn
But how long can one hold their hand above a stove and not get burned?
I move forward and attempt to restart
But, eventually, someone always finds the hole in my heart.
The hole never closes as it needs
As she finds her way in
And my heart bleeds.
Here I sit with my empty hand
Alone
Numb
And this I cannot stand.
Together they sit with interlocking hands
Together
Laughing
And to them I wish my blessing.
Eventually I must learn to stand
The fact that I will always have an empty hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment